Collection Spotlight: Angela Gregory will be on view at the LSU Museum of Art July 12 through October 18, 2018.
LSU Museum of Art’s latest collection spotlight will focus on sculpture by Angela Gregory held in the museum’s permanent collection. New Orleans native Angela Gregory (1903–1990) decided to become a sculptor at age fourteen—an ambitious path for a woman in the early twentieth century.
Angela Gregory graduated from Newcomb College in 1925 with a degree in design and received a scholarship to study at Parson’s School of Fine and Applied Art in Paris the same year. Determined to study “stone cutting” with the greatest living sculptor, Gregory was the only American admitted to the atelier of Antoine Bourdelle, a protégé of Auguste Rodin. There, she completed a bust of friend and scholar Joseph Campbell. Maquettes for this sculpture as well as the mold, maquette, and finished bronze sculpture for Gregory’s Plantation Madonna will provide insight into her studio practice and process.
In addition to maintaining a studio practice, Gregory taught at Newcomb College, earned a degree in architecture at Tulane, and completed architectural commissions in Louisiana, among other projects. In Baton Rouge, she sculpted relief profiles for the exterior of the State Capitol as well as interior railing, she completed bas-relief panels for the Louisiana National Bank (now Watermark Hotel), and she contributed sculptural railing to the exterior of LSU’s Hodges Hall. A bas-relief mantel lintel, completed as part of the 1932 restoration of the Chateau de Septmonts, will be featured alongside painting Gregory completed during her stay in Septmonts, France.
Find Angela Gregory's work around Baton Rouge
This exhibition is made possible with support from the following Annual Exhibition Fund donors: The Imo N. Brown Memorial Fund in memory of Heidel Brown and Mary Ann Brown; Louisiana CAT; Charles Schwing; Alma Lee, H.N. and Cary Saurage Fund; Newton B. Thomas Family/Newtron Group; LSU College of Art & Design; Susanna Atkins McCarthy; and Mr. and Mrs. Sanford A. Arst.